Thus, only two assignments and three exams left, yeah!! For one of the assignments, I had a meeting with the professor last week. I met him in his office in the hospital and I can tell you that people are crazy here because of the swine flu. Securities control that you disinfect your hands before you enter the hospital and patients younger than 18 years are not allowed to receive visitors… Well, I didn’t catch the flu and I was really happy after the meeting because I discussed a scientific topic in French – something I wasn’t able to do before I came here.
Mainly, I want to tell you about my crazy road trip to Gaspésie. This trip really deserves to be called road trip as we drove 2000 km in two and a half days!!! I guess that most of you have never heard about the region Gaspésie, so maybe you like to have a look on the map to orient yourself: http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&tab=wl
We rented a used minivan at a company called “rent a wreck”, doesn’t sound very trustworthy but we had no problems although a little warning light showed us that the car should soon be checked by a mechanist. I really enjoyed driving after three months without a car and made 800 km. I’ve been driving an automatic car for the first time but apart from one full braking because I mistook the brake for clutch, everything went pretty well.
We left Montreal at 1 pm on Friday and reached our first motel at 10 pm. Thus we drove many hours in the dark and passed deserted villages where we couldn’t see a single person on the street. We stopped just in time at McDonalds to buy our “dinner” before it closed at 9 pm. You see, we were in the middle of nowhere (Rien sur 6 km) and were curious about what we would see the next morning.
The waitress in the motel told us the that the most beautiful part of the Gaspésie starts right there, so we had not missed very much while driving through the dark. The road we took on Saturday followed the coast and the landscape was amazing.
After all the hours in the car, we did some hiking in the national park of Forillon.
We spent the second night in Gaspé, the metropolis of the Gaspésie with 15000 habitants. As it’s already complete dark at 4pm there, we wanted to go to a restaurant (not only fast food) around 6. We could not eat in the restaurant that was recommended in my guide book because all tables were booked. Hallo, at 6 pm!!! It seems that people there have supper at 6 and go to bed at 8 what explains why we couldn’t see anyone on the streets the night before. Finally, we found a very nice and low priced restaurant where I nearly stole a knife. After leaving the restaurant, I put my hand into the pockets of my jacket and found a knife in my left pocket! Don’t ask me how this could happen?! For a moment a was hesitating if I should just go away or bring it back what would be kind of embarrassing… but honest as I am, I went back and explained the situation to the waiter ;-) As we didn’t know what to do the whole evening in this hick town (there is a cinema but the only film was the Micheal Jackson film) we returned to our motel after dinner and adjusted to the locals going to bed at 10 pm ;-)
Thus, we left the motel the next day at half past 6 but unfortunately, I observed after 20 km that I had forgotten my mobile phone under the pillow. I guess the others would have liked to chop off my head as we had gotten up at 6 to leave early… On the way home, we stopped in Percé to see the famous rock in front of the coast. Unfortunately, it was raining the whole day…
But we had a great time in the car anyway listening to the same 4 CDs for the fifth time ;-) One song will always remind us of this great trip and I won’t deprive you of listening to it too… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByV2m8kdDA8
It’s too late to tell you about my last weekend because I have to get up at 7 am tomorrow…
Last but not least (still remebering something from my English lessons at school but today I have the impression that my English is really bad), to see who is still reading my blog, I’d like to ask some initiative of you… I’m still cooking nearly every day and really enjoy it but sometimes I run out of ideas. So please send me your favorite recipes, some easy everyday meals. I’ll try all of them and send you a picture afterwards ;-)
Hope to hear you soon...
geli
Hey what´s up :)
ReplyDeleteI´m so sorry, I want to write back some more and not so rarely... But slways I´m reading your storys and happy about it to hear everytime you have a very good time in CANADA!!! I think often about it, it isn´t so far away I´m coming to visit you:)) That will be a really funny and surely a crazy time, I think so ;)
I hope we can skype the next time and talk about your adventures and further plans.
Oh you wrote something about you need new recipes for your allday meals. What´s with our "Gurken-Spätzle" :) I don´t know, if you/where you can buy this ;)
So now without joke, I think about it and will tell you the next time here or by skype....
So last but not least don´t give up to write down your storys here please!! I believe your brother and I aren´t the only one reading your items!!!
So now I must go to sleep!!
I send you greets from a presently very cold (it feels very cold) and wet bavaria.
Hugs and Kisses Bine
Hey Bine!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear you =)
Guess what, today I've been cooking Gurkenspätzle!!! This time even with Spätzle which are really expensive here but I had some left from the Kasspatzn I made for my flatmates recently. Otherwise, I always do it with noodles...
Actually, we should talk about the flight quite soon. Maybe you can already check which date is the cheapest for you. I think there won't be any difference for me, it's 91 euros anyway.
Miss you very much,
geli
Brilliant! This time I spared you with my (more or less - personally, I guess VERY) stupid comments in order to urge everyone else to post something instead. And as you can see it worked out pretty well (thanks to Bine) which was - of course - my genuine intention...
ReplyDeleteBut honestly: Suggesting you some meals you detest wouldn't have been any fun since you stole this idea before I had it. Actually, I got a whole lot of work to do right now with my Erstis facing some really difficult stuff they want me to teach them (I accept this challenge, HA!) and the DS (aka the hardest thing in computer science bachelor) exam coming up. I think I'm enjoying Geli days* more frequently then ever before in my entire life...
*) Definition "Geli day":
get up, eat, work, eat, work, eat, work, sleep - what a rhyme!
To be precise, I had like... 2 hours (@WiGa yesterday eve) off time since I got up on monday morning - and as you might know this doesn't really seem to be me. It is, obviously, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing yet.
Simultaneousley, you keep on telling us about work you should do but enjoying your stay instead which seems, on the other hand, very much like me!
Conclusion: You learn to be me while you're gone, I learn to be you while you're gone, and we'll both be perfect when you're back - looking forward to it ;-)
;-) I'm very happy that you used some minutes of your precious spare time for writing me =)
ReplyDeleteI think it's time for some "Geli days" for me too as I have to hand in 3 assignments and write 3 exams during the next 2 weeks. But not tomorrow (I'm going to the concert of my friend from Sweden), maybe Sunday if I'm not playing Badminton (I learned to spell the word correctly)... Anyway, I should start working NOW!!!