SALUT!
Voilà, some new pictures showing what happened during the last days…
The 24th September was the birthday of my flatmate and therefore I decided to make a typical German cake, the Zwetschgendatschi. I spent three hours on baking as the yeast dough didn’t rise properly and then in the end the bottom of the cake was quite burned =( But anyway, Annabelle was surprised and happy and with enough whipped cream it was eatable…
The following picture shows some of my friends in front of the Olympic tower. We went to this place as foreign students got free entrance to some museums last week and visited the Biodôme (kind of little zoo) located in one of the buildings constructed for the Olympic Games in 1976. The day before, I visited the museum about Montreal’s history which was really informative and interesting.
The new way to party: Sit down in front of your computer with a bottle of vodka and watch your Moscow friends celebrating in front of the webcam… It was real fun to see you guys and talk to you but I would have loved to be in Munich that weekend. What about another reunion in Montreal?
Last Sunday, I went to Mont Orford with the outdoor club of my university. Despite the bad weather forecast, ten motivated students from Canada, France, Belgium, Sweden and Germany left Montreal at 9 am and arrived after some detours in the National Park of Mont Orford. The view from the top of the mountain was… well not available as we were in the middle of a cloud, but anyway, we enjoyed our hiking tour.
When I returned to Montreal that evening I saw Angela Merkel on the screen in the Metro station. That’s how I got to know the outcome of the elections in Germany. And here is the article published the following day in the Metro newspaper…
Finally a picture with my two flatmates Gabriel and Annabelle. It has been taken after a big cleaning in our apartment. They explained to me that they don’t have a cleaning calendar but that they clean the apartment whenever there is a party ;-)
And this was the case on Thursday evening. My flatmates invited some friends to watch the first important hockey match for Montreal’s team. Therefore we installed a second TV and served hotdogs, brezels, beer and champagne… That evening, I watched my first hockey match from the beginning till the end and observed Canadians watching hockey. It’s as popular as soccer in Germany and they are really enthusiastic about it.

On Friday evening I went to restaurant with some German friends and ate lobster for the first time in my life. It was delicious but difficult to eat ;-)

Afterwards, we went to the party of Philippe (a friend of Annabelle). This is how Canadians party…

And last night I went to Tokyo, here is the proof

One last picture, this is the park next to my metro station
Let’s start with the “Livre”. No, I’m not talking about a book but about a unit of weight. One week ago, some friends were discussing whether they lost or gained weight since they arrived in Montreal. So the next morning, I decided to use the balance in our bathroom – and I was quite shocked… 135!!! Obviously this could not be in kilograms and a closer look on the balance showed me that the scale was in lb, a unit that is called “livre”. I already knew this unit from the market and so far I believed that it was equivalent to our “Pfund” (500g) what meant that I weighed nearly 70 kg. Impossible, I went immediately to my computer to check how to transfer lb in kg. And I discovered that 135 lb correspond to 61,2349699 kg ;-) This explains also why the plums I bought on the market were not enough to cover the whole cake…
Well, take care, forget about the balance and enjoy the real Zwetschgendatschi (I’m a bit jealous)!!!
geli
On Friday evening I went to restaurant with some German friends and ate lobster for the first time in my life. It was delicious but difficult to eat ;-)
Afterwards, we went to the party of Philippe (a friend of Annabelle). This is how Canadians party…
And last night I went to Tokyo, here is the proof
One last picture, this is the park next to my metro station
Let’s start with the “Livre”. No, I’m not talking about a book but about a unit of weight. One week ago, some friends were discussing whether they lost or gained weight since they arrived in Montreal. So the next morning, I decided to use the balance in our bathroom – and I was quite shocked… 135!!! Obviously this could not be in kilograms and a closer look on the balance showed me that the scale was in lb, a unit that is called “livre”. I already knew this unit from the market and so far I believed that it was equivalent to our “Pfund” (500g) what meant that I weighed nearly 70 kg. Impossible, I went immediately to my computer to check how to transfer lb in kg. And I discovered that 135 lb correspond to 61,2349699 kg ;-) This explains also why the plums I bought on the market were not enough to cover the whole cake…
Well, take care, forget about the balance and enjoy the real Zwetschgendatschi (I’m a bit jealous)!!!
geli
hey bruderherz! what's up? where is your comment? is anyone out there still reading my blog??
ReplyDeletebonne nuit
Of course I read it, just was a bit in a hurry and could't think of a good idea for my next stupid comment ;-)
ReplyDeleteYou're lucky that you explained the lb thing and therefore have some kind of excuse for you cake - to be honest it looks more like a piece of modern art than like the Zwetschgendatschi I ate a few days ago :P No offense...^^
And last but not least a very important question: are you talking about (field) hockey or is ice hockey just called hockey? I knew that Canadians are really crazy about ice hockey... Actually I watched a few ice hockey matches (for the first time since... I don't know) myself during the last weeks (Benni's season has started, he plays in his age's Bundesliga for Königsbrunn) and it was really fun - and for free^^
PS: you parents are reading it, too - they are just not able to post comments for reasons you can imagine yourself :D
ReplyDeleteactually it was really not that easy to make the cake as we have not kitchen balance here but fortunately there's something written on the products like "30 g flower corresponds to 1/2 cup" or "4g of sugar is 1 teaspoon". maybe i made a mistake while counting cups and teaspoons ;-)
ReplyDeleteand yeah, of course "hockey" is ice hockey but as ice hockey seams to be the most important thing here, everyone says just hockey and it's clear what it's meant to be...